Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
June 13, 2014 Net House, Canalfront Park, Lewes, DE
Meeting called to order at 9:05 am
Board Members Present: Tracy Mulveny, Ray Glick, Eric Van Gilder, Bob Gibson, Sue Townsend, Dennis Reardon, Norma Morrison, Robert Perri, Tom Wrubel, Don Smith, Dave Burnheisel and Brook Hedge.
1. Secretary’s Report:
Eric Van Guilder moved to accept as the May minutes as submitted and Sue Townsend seconded the motion. May board meeting minutes were approved as submitted.
2. Treasurer’s Report:
Eric made some clarifications to the budget as approved in the May meeting. The Monomoy Grant is carried over from the 2013 budget and shown in both receipts and expenses. Eric answered several questions. The board found this arrangement acceptable. The budget remains approved from the May meeting.
The financial statement is very similar to last year and on budget. Major items include stock from George Elliott, membership dues at $13,000, opening party $27,300, Community Bank $5000 (not yet received). Expenses included the audit $4400 and Dirty Hands Gang $2200. The endowment currently has approximately $72,000.
A motion to put $10,000 in the maintenance reserve fund was made by Dennis Reardon and seconded by Brook Hedge. Motion passed.
3. Issues for discussion:
· Dirty Hands Gang: The steps to the store have been refurbished, the ship cleaned and weed control performed. The awning is up, a new shed door installed and new wheels installed on the gangway. The ships structure above the main deck is in process of being repainted along with buoys and the lifeboat. They will use the same kind of epoxy paint as the red paint used 5 years ago on the hull and is holding up so well. Cassidy Painting (?) is again supplying the paint at their cost ($70/gallon).
All major electrical systems on the ship were disconnected some years ago. Now only lights and receptacles are connected to shore power. Due to the poor condition of the original wire insulation, they will be pulling in new wire for all of the circuits that haven’t already been replaced. There is an old LYC tent we no longer need. What do we do with the old tent? The new Monomoy shed will serve as shelter for events.
Bill Reeder will step down at the end of the season as Director of Restoration (the DHG guy) after 16 years.
· Customized Overfalls Clothing Update: Apparel 2014 is a catalog from Adprint, Inc. that will allow anyone who wishes to order Overfalls Logo(s) on a piece of clothing to order what they want. You will be able to buy one or many of any item of clothing in the catalog.
· Upcoming events:
June 25 Calypso Night Sundowner 5:30 to 7:30PM
June 26 Mock rescue drill by the Lewes Fire and Rescue Dept.
July 4 Boat Parade award presentation 3:30PM on the ship
July 23 Sundowner 5:30 – 7:30PM
July 26 Indian River Marina Art and Seafood Food Festival 10 – 4 at the Indian River Marina
August 20 Sundowner to benefit Delaware River and Bay Lighthouse Foundation 5:30 – 7:30PM
September 13, Clambake
September 14, Dragon Boat Festival
September 20 – 21, Police and Fireman Family Appreciation Days
October 5, Coast Day
· Police/Fireman Family Appreciation Days – need a coordinator
· Need press release/publicity chairperson from the board
· Dover tourism office needs brochures – Dennis offered to deliver them
· Need a disaster Plan – Ray Glick has materials on disaster planning from a conference he attended. Eric volunteered to do the plan and Don Smith would like to help.
4. Committee reports:
· Opening Party:
Tickets (about 320 sold) $14,400
Live auction $5700
Silent auction $7000
Wine wall ˜$200 problems with distribution of good wines in cases
Anticipated net $21,000-$22,000
· Monomoy – shed report
Schell Brothers Builders should start shed soon (maybe). Major repairs to the boat are about done and they are about ready to start caulking.
Discussion of two artifacts we have been asked to accept. One is the captain’s log from the Stephanie Anne and the other a diesel injector for a Cooper-Bessemer Engine similar to ours. After some discussion, Brook Hedge moved that we do not accession the items. Eric Van Guilder seconded the motion. Motion was passed not to accept these items.
There is concern that items have disappeared from the ship and storage shed over the years. Too many people may have access to our facilities. May need to change the locks and restrict access. Police reports will need to be prepared in the future and the FBI may need to be involved since we are a museum and National Historic Landmark. No action was taken.
Schedule of Upcoming Meetings:
Next Board of Directors Meeting: Friday, August 8th at 9:00AM at the New House
Annual Membership Meeting, Friday, October 10 at 7:00 PM in St. Peter’s Church Hall
Meeting Adjournment at 10:50 AM
Bob Gibson, secretary
Enclosures to be included with final copy:
Overfalls Foundation 2014 Budget with clarifications
May financial statement