Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Sept. 12, 2014, 2014 Tracy Mulveny’s house, Lewes, DE
Meeting called to order at 9:00 am
Board Members Present: Tracy Mulveny, Ray Glick, Eric Van Gilder, Bob Gibson, Sue Townsend, Dennis Reardon, Norma Morrison, Brook Hedge, Elaine Simmerman, Don Smith and Dave Burnheisel.
Guests: Tom Wrubel
1. Secretary’s Report:
August board meeting minutes were approved as submitted.
2. Treasurer’s Report:
· Reviewed last years’ Profit and Loss compared to this year to date. County Bank donated $7500 this year versus $5000 they had committed to earlier. Eric has moved $25,000 from the Money Market Account to the Endowment Account. There is cash set aside for completion of the Monomoy Life Boat.
· Elaine talked about a State of Delaware grant in aid application which will ask for $5000 this time. There was a motion made and approved to support the application.
· The Pilots Association event gives us an opportunity to talk with local and state politicians. The Board of Directors is invited to participate from 3 to 6 pm. The main deck of the ship will be open for them to view the Dragon Boat Races.
3. Issues for discussion:
· Monomoy shed update: Shed is complete except for the floor which will be completed next month. The bottom of the Monomoy has been completed and the boat is ready to be rolled over so we can complete the inside.
· Update from the Nominating Committee: Ray summarized the nominating committee activity. Jim Ford and Barbara Vaughn were our consultants. We have four new nominees: Guy Townsend – currently chair of Guides and a guide, Bill Battista – Past Dirty hands gang, Artifacts committee, guide, Tom Wrubel – responsible for Overfalls web site and our electronic communications and Al Didden –Longtime volunteer, supporter and Guide
Brook made a motion to accept the slate of nominees which was seconded by Elaine. The motion passed.
· There was a brief discussion that the Annual Meeting will be on the second Friday of October (10-10-2014) and the Board of Directors Meeting will be on the third Friday of October (10-17-2014).
· Advertising for 2015: Delaware Beach Book has offered a $1500 ad for $500. Since they are generous supporters at the opening party we would get back most of the ad cost. A motion was made and passed to go ahead with the Beach Book ad. From Ray’s analysis of the guest book comments on where visitors heard about us, he feels we shouldn’t spend any money on advertising because it isn’t working. The two major ways visitors hear about the ship is walking by and the internet. Word of mouth is also high on the list of comments. Don asked if we had tried to find pro-bono professional marketing advice locally. Brook suggested asking the city to add a hyperlink to their web site. Ray feels strongly that we need to spend the money to update our brochure. The current brochure doesn’t include the American Lightship Museum or the Monomoy Lifeboat. I need to place more brochures at the ferry terminals. I need to make sure we have them on display in the Cape May terminal.
· Special License Plate: Eric agreed to take on this project and investigate if we could have a DE license plate.
· Police/Fireman Family Appreciation Day: Still need a press release/publicity chairperson from the board.
· Spring Opening Hours: It was suggested that we try adding additional visitor hours starting Saturday 10 am – 2 pm in May. The trial hours were approved.
· Donation for American Legion Post 17: We received a $500 donation from them. Tracy will give them a porthole in appreciation. They also provide high quality flags for the stern of the ship.
· Speaker from MER: Suzanne Thurmann is a possible speaker from the new robotics group at the University of Delaware.
· Use for old signal flags: We have 12 old international signal flags in the flag locker. Although these did fly over the ship, they are not in good shape and are very expensive to restore. Ray has asked that we sell these artifacts. After some discussion a motion was made that we “do” sell these flags at the opening party.
4. Committee reports:
· Curators Report: Ray will change 50% of the displays next year. Roseann Mears has many things she would like to donate to the Overfalls Foundation. Ray will have to review these items to see if they are appropriate for our collection. He expects to improve signage next year. There are many naming opportunities. Tom asked if we should continue artifact of the month. It was felt that it shows that we are a museum. Ray will set up 12 items to illustrate what you can see in our museum. These will be on the web for the next year.
· Maritime Hall of Fame: We still have tickets left.
5. Schedule of Upcoming Meetings:
· Annual Membership Meeting, Friday, October 10 at 7:00 PM in St. Peter’s Church Hall. Dr. Ray Glick will speak at 7:30 PM.
· Next Board of Directors Meeting: Friday, October 17 at 9:00AM at the Net House
6. Upcoming events:
September 20/21, Police and Fireman Appreciation Days at the ship
October 5, Coast Day (Sunday) 11 – 3 at the University of Delaware Marine College
October 10, Annual Membership meeting at 7 PM with speaker at 7:30 PM. Dr. Ray Glick will speak on “The Coast Guard on Horseback, A History of the Beach Patrol Service during WWII
October 11, Delaware Hall of Fame Banquet, Lewes Yacht Club 5:30 to 9 PM
October 13, 4 PM ship closes for the season
November 14, Our monthly meeting at St. Peters Church Hall. Presentation and book signing by Bill Manthorpe “The history of the Navy at Cape Henlopen” A book signing and lecture.
December 12, Annual Holiday Party for members at the Inn at Canal Square 7-9 PM
December 31, New Year’s Eve Anchor Drop at the ship. 11PM -12:30 AM
January 9, 2015, Monthly meeting at 7:30 pm at St. Peters church. Public speaker to be announced.
February 13, 2015, Monthly meeting at 7:30 pm at St. Peters church, public speaker Marvin Barrash book signing and lecture on the disappearance of the U.S.S. Cyclops
March 13, 2015, Monthly meeting at 7:30 pm at St. Peters church, public speaker, Red Molineaux of the DRBHF (Light House Foundation) speaking on the history and restoration progress of our Delaware Bay Lighthouses.
Meeting Adjournment at 10:50 AM
Bob Gibson, secretary
Enclosures to be included with final copy:
Overfalls Foundation Revenue and Expenditures Jan through August 31, 2014