Interested in Volunteering?
The Overfalls Foundation needs volunteers to help with all phases of our operations. Here is just a sampling of the areas that always need volunteers.
- The Dirty Hands Gang – Hands-on help with the continued restoration and maintenance of the ship, from painting to mechanical work. There are no special skills required, just a willingness to get involved and get your hands dirty!
- Development – Much of the revenue supporting the Overfalls comes from grants, fundraising drives and special events. Whether or not you have experience, help is always needed with these activities.
- Social Activities – We host many social activities throughout the year. These events all need help setting up and running.
- Ship Tour Guides – Tours are conducted by our guides who tailor each tour to the individual visitors. This is a great opportunity to tell the Overfalls story, it is fun, and you will meet some very interesting people from all over the world. No prior knowledge of lightships is necessary.
- Welcome Center and Ship’s Store Crew – The Ship’s Store serves as a welcome center for anyone visiting the ship. The store crew also sells t-shirts and assorted souvenirs.
- Communications and Outreach – If you have skills in writing, taking photographs, using Internet social tools, or have any related technical skills, we need you.
- Education – We need people to help run education programs for students of all ages on the history of lightships, the Overfalls and Delaware’s maritime history. Persons with a background in teaching and/or who enjoy it would be a considerable help in this area.
If you are interested in exploring any of these – or any other ways to volunteer, please contact us at Volunteering@overfalls.org.